In 1980 the combined Towns of Cottesloe, Claremont, Mosman Park and the Shire of Peppermint Grove established an aged support service known as the Cottesloe Aged Persons Trust. By 1981 the Combined Councils were removed from the group and a new service, The Aged Persons Support Service Inc (TAPSS), was developed.
The Aged Persons Support Service Inc (TAPSS) has changed a number of times over the years to meet the needs of its clients and the requirements of the Health Department's HACC programme. In 1984, The Aged Persons Support Service Inc (TAPSS) was primarily a volunteer organisation and it was not until 1986 that it engaged its first employee, a part time Home Visit Coordinator.
In 1992 staff numbers increased as a result of Home And Community Care (HACC) funding for a Day Centre, along with an extension to the existing building that was finished in 2000.
In 2003 the Combined Council Committee conducted a critical review of The Aged Persons Support Service Inc (TAPSS) that led to a focused on positive ageing. Two years later, in 2005, the change management plan was put into place.
In 2006, The Aged Persons Support Service Inc (TAPSS) changed its name to TAPSS Community Care (Inc) to give a more contemporary feel, and to reflect their wide range of clients that included adults of any age with a disability.
In 2014, the trading name was changed to SHINE Community Services to better reflect the desire to help people, regardless of age or disability; to encourage people to be their best, as part of our community; to thrive and to be the happiest and most fulfilled that they can be – to SHINE!
In 2018 SHINE was awarded approved provider status for the provision of Home Care Packages.
SHINE Community Services is situated in the original Cottesloe Post Office and Telephone Exchange, and the building still stays true to the original Victorian-Georgian style that was fashionable at the time of its construction.
Tender for construction was called on the 15th October 1897 and the tender for 1,190 pounds and nineteen shillings, (approx. $2,380), was let to Leggo and Claque on 25th November 1897 for completion by 25th April 1898 (5 months).
From the beginning of its construction to the late 1960’s, there was a strong relationship between the Post Office and the workers of the Railways. This is why the SHINE Community Services building is fortunate to be located so close to the train station and the café strip in Cottesloe central.
Cottesloe Post Office and Telephone exchange was the first in the area and only the third in the metropolitan area. In 1930 Cottesloe telephone exchange became automatic and was only the second automatic exchange in Western Australia. On the 16th May 1964 the Telephone Exchange was closed for public business, and the former Post Office telephone exchange became a linesman depot.
The building was eventually sold in 1982 to the Town of Cottesloe and in 1984 the building was converted for community use.
The building was renovated in 1985 to be used jointly by The Aged Persons Support Service Inc (TAPSS) and as a child health clinic. Much of the internal fabric of the building was removed so some of the heritage value was lost; however some internal walls, ceilings and fireplaces still appear in their original state and have been kept and incorporated into SHINE Community Services current image.