Frequently Asked Questions

Home and Community Care (HACC)

What is Home and Community Care (HACC)?

HACC stands for the Home and Community Care (HACC) programme, and provides funding to under 65 year olds requiring assistance. It is a joint programme between both the State and Federal Governments. More information about the Home and Community Care (HACC) program can be found on their website here. Am I eligible? If you are under 65 years of age, Home and Community Care (HACC)will assess you eligibility. You can contact the Regional Assessment Service on 1300 785 415.

How much will HACC cost?

Fees are substantially reduced and are subsidised by the Home and Community Care (HACC) program and the combined Councils. You can refer yourself or referrals may be made by a relative, carer, friend, GP or any other service. You will need to be assessed for eligibility by a WA Regional Assessment Agency.

What is in-home care and is it right for me?

SHINE Community Service's purpose is to enable people to live their life safely and independantly, while remaining connected to the community for as long as possible. The Australian Government provides a subsidy to approved home care providers, like SHINE Community Service, to go towards a package of care, services and case management to meet your individual needs. SHINE Community Service offers home care packages that have been catered to your individualised needs.

Why is Western Australia Home and Community Care (HACC) services for older people transitioning to the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP)?

On 31 January 2017 the Commonwealth Government and Western Australian Government agreed to transition responsibility for the Western Australian Home and Community Care (HACC) services for people to the Commonwealth. The transition of these services is consistent with the arrangements that have been implemented in all other states and territories as part of the Commonwealth’s national aged care reform agenda. These changes will allow for nationally consistent services and support to be provided to people as they grow older no matter where they live.

When will the transition happen?

The Western Australian Home and Community Care (HACC) program will transition to the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) from 1 July 2018 for individuals over the age of 65.

Where can I find more information on the transition?

More information regarding the transition can be found on the Commonwealth Home Support Program's (CHSP) website, found here.

SHINE Services

What services does SHINE Community Services offer?

SHINE Community Services offer a range of services and supports to assist you, such as:

  • Domestic Assistance
  • Personal Care
  • Social Support
  • Respite Care
  • Meal Services
  • Client Care Coordination
  • Case Management
  • Counselling and Support, Information and Advocacy (CSIA)
    • Client
    • Carer
  • Allied Health
  • Reablement Centre
  • Transport Services

What is SHINE Transport?

SHINE Transport is a service offered by SHINE Community Services to enable community members to attend appointments and engage with community events such as: - Transport to doctor, physiotherapist, podiatrist or other medical appointments - Shopping bus services - Social outings and activities - The nearest major shopping centre for activities such as food shopping, banking, hairdressing appointments

When are services offered by SHINE Community Services NOT accessible?

In some cases, SHINE Community Services cannot assist you. These services are not accesssable: - When people are medically unfit to travel, including being discharged from hospital - To transport people to/from paid employment - To transport children to/from school and/or other activites - When inter-hospital transfers or nursing home transfers are required - In residential care facilities

What is SHINE Community Services?

SHINE Community Services is a non-for-profit organisation that assists seniors, people with disabilities and other members of our community to live fulfilling, independent and dignified lives within the comfort of their own homes.

Is SHINE Community Services a not-for-profit organisation?

Yes, SHINE Community Services is a not-for-profit organisation that focuses on providing quality services for aged people and people with disabilities in our community.

How do I contact SHINE Community Services?

For more information about what we can do to assist you, please refer to our contact us page.

Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP)

What is the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP)?

The Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) is an entry level programme for older people who need some assistance with daily tasks in order to live independently at home. The Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) will be taking over from Home and Community Care (HACC) from the 1st July 2018. The Programme will be fully administered and funded by the Australian Government's Department of Health, rather then Western Australia's Department of Health. More information on the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) can be found on their website found here. If you are currently receiving Home and Community Care (HACC) services, you can expect your services to continue to be the same under Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP).

Where can I find more information on Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP)?

You can find more information regarding the rollout of the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) and what it means for your services and support at their website found here.

Will there be changes to the current Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) from 1 July 2018?

Yes, the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) will include new funding conditions that will aim to deliver more choice for consumers and a greater focus on supporting independence and wellness. These changes aim to ensure that the service delivery is more focused on client strengths and goals, providing increased choice for consumers and a greater focus on pathways and activities. There will also be an increased focus on reablement where appropriate.

What are services are outside the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP)?

Services that are outside the scope of the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) include individual advocacy services and carer support services. From 1 July 2019, funding for these activities will transition to national programs established to deliver these services. Individual advocacy services will transition to the National Aged Care Advocacy Program. All funding for carer support services will transition to the Department of Social Services to support the delivery of carer support services under the Integrated Plan for Carer Support Services.

What quality standards apply to the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP)?

Currently, all Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) service providers must operate within the Home Care Standards and have appropriate procedures in place to meet these criteria. These standards relate to quality of care and quality of life for the provision of aged care in the community.

Will the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) funding arrangements also apply to Mult-Purpose Services (MPS)?

Yes. Multi-Purpose Services (MPS) will be required to deliver any existing Western Australian Home and Community Care (HACC) services that transition to the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) from 1 July 2018 under a Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) funding agreement.

Council Services

What are Council Services?

SHINE Community Services have formed a partnership over many years with the four local government areas of Claremont, Cottesloe, Mosman Park and Peppermint Grove to provide affordable in home care and supports to their residents.

Am I eligible for Council Services?

If you live within the jurisdictions of the three councils of Claremont, Cottesloe and Mosman Park, or within the shire of Peppermint Grove, you may be eligible.
Please contact SHINE to arrange an eligibility assessment.

How much do Council Services cost?

SHINE offers affordable and competitive rates for services and supports. Contact SHINE today for a full fee schedule

Fee for Service

What is Fee for Service?

SHINE offers fee for service to people who wish to access the SHINE suite of services, who may not qualify for Home and Community Care (HACC), Council Services, Brokerage or Home Care Packages, or who wish to top-up existing services. Consumers who access fee for service will be able to utilise all of the SHINE In Home services, Reablement Centre, transport services and social support.
For more information see our Enablement Services page or Contact Us.

How much does Fee for Service cost?

SHINE prides itself on its affordable and competitive rates.Fee for service is not government subsidised, and you will pay an hourly rate plus GST (excluding personal care).For further information on these fees, please contact us for a full fee schedule.

Who is eligible for Fee for Service?

SHINE Fee for Service is available to everyone! There is no eligibility criteria for SHINE Fee for Service. Contact SHINE today to discuss supports and services that we can provide you.


What is Brokerage?

SHINE Community Services proudly provides a brokerage service that accomodates aged care providers and disability services in delivering exceptional support services.
Our brokerage service model is consistent with our values of providing customers with choice and flexibility in how, when and by whom their care is provided.
We will work with you and your aged care provider to arrange services of your choice.Please contact SHINE and your package provider to discuss further.

How much does Brokerage cost?

SHINE has affordable and competitive rates that will be discussed with you and your aged care provider. Contact SHINE today for further information.

In Home Services

Will I always have the same support worker?

Yes, you will always have the same support worker to assist you provided that they are not on leave. If that should happen, another support worker will assist you until your regular support worker returns to work.

What happens if I need to cancel my service?

If you need to cancel your service for whatever reason, ensure that you provide SHINE with at least 24 hours' notice in advance to avoid a incurring a charge.

How often can I receive a gardening service?

If you are eligible, you may receive gardening service every four weeks, at the same time and on the same day.

Do you do lawn mowing?

Unfortunately, lawn mowing is not a service provided by our gardeners.

Do you provide services on a public holiday?

No, we do not provide any service on days that fall on Public Holidays. Should this occur, you can call us and reschedule your service for a different day.

Will my services be the same time each week/fortnight?

We strive to provide a constant service to our people, but when our support workers are out in the community so you will need to allow for 30 minutes either side of your allocated time. It is not uncommon to get caught up in traffic delays or delayed with a previous client.

Do you cancel the gardening if it is raining and/or the weather is severe?

Yes, we do cancel the gardening service if the weather predicted to be severe or raining. We will always endeavor to reschedule your service for you in a timely manner.

How do I go about receiving additional services?

To receive additional services, you can ring and speak to the referrals coordinator and she can advise you on your options.

What happens if I go away for an extended holiday?

If you are planning an extended holiday or any time away, please let us know so that we can suspend your service until you return.

What happens if I end up having to go into hospital?

If you need to go into hospital, please try to give us at least 24 hours' notice to cancel your service. If that is not possible, please let us know as soon as possible so we may cancel your service.

Do you provide services on the weekend?

SHINE's service days are Monday to Friday. We do not provide service on weekends or public holidays.

What is the earliest personal care time you can provide?

SHINE's earliest service starts at 07:30am, every week day.

How do the support workers know what to do for me when they arrive?

The support workers adhere to your personalised care plan that advises them on arrival as to what is required from them each day.

Home Care Packages

What are Home Care Packages?

Home Care Packages are to help you live independently in your own home.
SHINE will provide you based on your assessed need:
Home Care Level 1- basic care needs
Home Care Level 2- low level care needs
Home Care Level 3- intermediate care needs
Home Care Level 4- high care needs

You can refer to My Aged Care for further details

What services can I receive with a Home Care Package?

SHINE will work with you to tailor a package that provides you with the supports of your choice. You can choose the services that best suit you and your lifestyle! Contact SHINE today to create your Service Package.

How much will a Home Care Package cost?

There are four levels of home care package. Each level of home care package provides a different subsidy amount. This amount is paid to SHINE, if you choose us as your home care package provider.
The subsidy contributes to the total cost of your service and care delivery. You can expect that you will contribute towards the cost of your services and supports, through a basic daily fee, and in some instances, an income tested fee.

A Home Care Package sounds great! How do I get one?

SHINE is ready to help you!
To access a Service Package with SHINE, you will need to be assessed by the Aged Care Assessment Team. Once you are approved for a Home Care Package, you are placed on a national queue until a package becomes available and is assigned to you, of which you will receive notification from My Aged Care.

Consumer Directed Care (CDC)

What is Consumer Directed Care?

SHINE is committed to delivering your services and supports within a consumer directed care model of support. This is designed to give more flexibility, choice and control to you.
This means you choose the supports that best suit you and your lifestyle.


What is Reablement?

SHINE provides services and supports that focus on Wellness and Reablement to achieve your personal goals. Reablement will support you to build self-confidence, increase ability, retain autonomy and connect with your community, leading to a better quality lifestyle.


How do I have an Assessment?

SHINE is here to help. Contact us and, dependant on your circumstance, we will support and guide you through the process of assessment.

Home Care Packages Letter

I have been sent a letter offering a Home Care Package, what does this mean?

SHINE is happy to chat with you regarding any letter you have received from My Aged Care.

If you have been sent a letter offering you a Home Care Package this means a federally funded package is available. This package is designed to offer you support to remain living independently in your own home.

Your letter will indicate to you which level of home care package you have been assigned (level 1, 2, 3 or 4). You may notice on your letter that you have been assigned a home care package below that which you were approved for. This is so you can begin to access services while you await a package at your approved level.

Now what do I do to start receiving services?

Call SHINE to discuss your options.
On your letter will be a unique referral code that you will give to your chosen provider. As soon as you choose a provider, you can begin to tailor the services and supports that you wish to receive.
Please note: once you receive your letter, you will have 56 days to enter an agreement with a provider. You can request an extension if needed.